Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 71 - Melb Cup

It's Melb Cup day today, for those who don't know what The Melb Cup is, it's basically one day of the year where everyone in Australia stops working and bet on a thoroughbred horse race. It's the race that stop the nation. The event is held at around 3 pm on the first Tuesday in November. And how do I know all that?? Wikipedia of course :P.
Me and the girls at work put some money on a horse or more thru TAB, and also do an office sweep. At around 2.30, we all headed off to the pub across the st, Maloney's for lunch and drinks and watch the race. I put my money on the favourites, Viewed and Alcopop. To everyone suprise, the favourite didn't win. The cup went to the horse named Shocking, yea, shocking indeed. There goes my 20$. boo!!!! Oh well, there's always next year.

After work, I went to see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus with Luke and Hai, I didn't wanna see this movie in the first place. I would have prefered to see All about Steve, but 2 against 1, so we ended up watching this. It's Heath Ledger's final movie, and it's about this immortal gypsy, Dr Parnassus who gambles with the devil, with his own daughter (Lily Cole) as a prize. I was suprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. The special effects in the parallel world looked really good and the transitions between Heath and the other actors (Johnny Deep, Colin Farrel, and Jude Law) who played his character, since he passed away before completing this movie is believable. Lily Cole also proved that she can actually act, and not just because of her pretty face. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
x

0 comments:

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails