Saturday, October 9, 2010

Roller Wars

John, Leigh and I went to the Horden Pavilion at Fox studio to see the roller derby today. Roller-skating is one of my favourite sports and I've always wanted to see a roller derby live, ever since I saw Whip It!, so somewhow I found out about this event, got ourselves a ticket and here we are.
For all of you who doesn't know what roller derby is, it's a full contact sport played on quad roller skates with 2 teams of 5 women skating around a small track. They got one player from each team called a 'jammer' who will tried to gain points by passing opposing players legally. The opposing players 'blockers' have to stop the jammer by creating physical obstacles or knocking her over. I quoted all that from their program book :p

At first, we thought it's gonna be empty and we prob the only person there but when we got there, lots of people already queuing up to get in and it's a full house inside. I didn't realise how popular this sport actually is. The theme of the night is Roller Wars and everyone is encouraged to dress up as a Star Wars character, but I didn't see anyone turn up in costume. They had staff wearing stormtrooper costumes wondering around for us to take pics of. I just wore wear black and red shirt which is the colour of the Sydney team to show my support and so did lots of people there.

They're doing 2 matches today. The first one is a mini one between Smackdown Sallies and The Pistola Chola. It's basically a warm up friendly match and to familiarize people who never go to this thing before. It was quite good still and the Sallies won the match.
The main match is The Assassins (Sydney) VS Vice City Rollers (Canberra). This is where the real game begins. Both teams are so strong and aggresive in trying to score as many points as possible for their teams. Lots of pushing and shoving and players getting knocked over.
At first, Sydney was leading the game but Canberra kept on tailing them. During mid break, they had a funky burlesque performance with Princess Lea get-up. I thought it was quite cool. The game was nail bitting up until the last minutes because the score was a tie but Sydney nailed it with their last jams. They ended up winning the nite by 4 points, 109 against 105 Canberra.  

I had so much fun watching the match, I wish men can play roller derby because I would deff try to get in the team. It 's prob gonna be 10 times more brutal and aggresive thou. I'll be coming back again to see another match for sure.
x

0 comments:

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails